As a passenger, being involved in an Uber/Lyft Rideshare accident is very different from being involved in an accident in your vehicle. When involved in an accident, your Personal Injury Protection coverage policy will cover a portion of your injuries. This coverage can be accessed through your policy or the policy of any related household members, who have an automobile policy.
However, if you are involved in a rideshare accident while a passenger in either an Uber or Lyft, your policy may contain an exclusion that would not provide coverage for your injuries. Instead, coverage for your injuries may be found in the rideshare driver’s own insurance policy or additional liability coverage rideshare drivers are required to have by law.
Important Factors to Keep in Mind for this Coverage to Apply:
(1) the driver must be logged into the app in driver mode at the time of the accident; (2) the driver must have accepted your ride through the app itself.
For situations when these two conditions are met, rideshare companies are required to carry a liability policy of $1 million. This policy covers any passengers in the Uber/Lyft as well as anyone who is hit by the Uber/Lyft vehicle while it is transporting passengers.
How to Protect Yourself After an Uber/Lyft RideshareAccident.
If you hired Uber or Lyft for a trip, and unexpectedly were involved in a rideshare accident, while in a Uber/Lyft vehicle you should take the following steps to protect yourself and maximize your chances of obtaining insurance coverage through the Uber/Lyft policy:
- Call 911 and report the accident.
- Document with photos, video or notes as many facts as you can regarding the accident and how it occurred. (A) Make sure to note the weather at the time of the accident; the color of the lights when the accident occurred or the relevant traffic signs or signals involved. (B) You should also document any physical damage to the vehicles and the position of the vehicles after the accident.
- Report any injuries you have to the police officer who responds to the accident and seek available on-scene medical attention if necessary.
- Document your injuries and seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident if you are injured in the accident.
- Obtain a copy of the police report once it is ready.
- Report the accident to Uber/Lyft. You may speak to Uber/Lyft directly when they contact you regarding the accident or you may hire an attorney to address the claim and speak on your behalf.
Speak to a Uber/Lyft Rideshare Accident Attorney
Because rideshare accidents regarding Uber or Lyft can be complicated, it is important that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible. In order to protect your interests and access to any possible benefits, consulting with an Uber/Lyft Rideshare Accident Attorney is your best course of action.